Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Old writings

Its interesting to see what I wrote just a few years back, oh man. These entries come from Livejournal.com which I guess was still active!

Summa
Monday, May 23rd, 2005
Summer days bring steamy flings, tasty fruit Coolatas, and the dreaded swimsuit season. Guys don’t think much about wearing swim trunks and going to the beach. Women need preparation for the pain, trauma, and disappointment that come with buying swimming attire.

I went to the mall ready to buy a swimsuit that would make me feel comfortable. I didn’t care if it was a one piece, a two-piece, or one with a little skirt that hides the thighs. This summer’s trends include buckles, colorful prints, sash ties and spiced up monokinini’s. If you are like me you will try to incorporate these trends into your decision-making, but this is hard to do when stores seem obsessed with “Dirrty,” Christina Aguilera, styles.

As if getting a bathing suit wasn’t difficult enough, I had to look at myself under fluorescent lights in front of giant mirrors that highlighted my worst assets. I endured the torture and I tried a black bikini with hip side-buckles; it looked good until a girl came out wearing it two sizes smaller, then it went back to the rack. I followed up with a red tankini but I looked in the mirror and thought of an overgrown cherry with an emphasized pear shaped body, I felt like fruit a salad. Finally, I came out of the dressing room wearing a one-piece pink suit, with oblong side cuts and a delicate shimmer that made me feel positively giddy. I was over joyous and could already feel the warm rays of the sun reflecting on my swimsuit at the beach.

After 15 minutes of anticipation I was next in line. I gave the suit to the salesman and, beep…$150 dollars. What? I was buying a swimsuit, in a department store, on a college student budget. If I had the cash to spend I would spend it in a Burberry’s bikini, with the store’s famous print, add sunglasses, and a towel for the hell of it. Needless to say I was shocked, and the salesman was waiting for payment. So, I did what any girl in my situation, too embarrassed to say, “forget it,” would’ve done. I took out my mom’s credit card and bought it. Yep, and when that bill comes I better have a really good excuse or a really good paycheck coming.

What have you learned from my story? First, be determined. Fight your way through the hordes of shoppers and try everything once, you will find a good suit. Second, love yourself. No matter how much you complain about your body remember that we all have unique qualities and that nobody is perfect, even after a lipo. Finally, and most importantly, be prepared. If you don’t have momma’s credit card, or alternate payment, be courageous enough to walk away. Hoping that you learned from my experience, I leave you to try and find you perfect summer style.